Finance & Operations
Finance and Operations
Chair: Richard Pappas
The Finance and Operations Division oversees the management of the Chamber including the internal operations of the Chamber, membership, revenue, and contracts.
• Hold monthly Finance & Operation meetings with staff, open to the Board, to review ongoing financial operations.
• Coordinate membership benefits programs and explore new opportunities which may include member discounts and incentives.
• Evaluate new and existing programs in context of revenue, value to members, relevance to chamber mission, and image in community.
• Re-evaluate ongoing Chamber programs, projects, contracts and outsourced functions.
Chair – Joshua Dobi
The Public Policy Division monitors local, state and federal legislative activity that influences business growth and activity in the Lake Norman area and develops strategies for influencing these deliberations. This division also facilitates Chamber support of community service activity in the region.
• Monitor public meetings and inform the membership on issues affecting the business community.
• Conduct Focus Friday programs on key community issues examining a full range of views on the subject.
• Establish regional business priorities for upcoming legislative sessions and create a long-term legislative framework for ongoing strategic priorities.
• Enhance the Chamber's position as a major policy advocate for Lake Norman's business community.
• Coordinate legislative meetings where Chamber members can meet, discuss, and advise the Chamber on legislative and community issues.
• Promote and coordinate annual Candidate Forum(s) and political activism.
• Conduct an Institute of Political Leadership to train, educate, and nurture candidates for local, county, and state office, regardless of political affiliation with the Greater Statesville Chamber of Commerce.
• Generate opportunities for Chamber members to meet and build positive relationships with our local, state and federal delegation.
• Participate in the North Carolina Legislative and Economic Development Conference held in Washington DC.
• Place emphasis on road, highway improvements, and transportation planning initiatives.
• Work with elected leaders, NC DOT officials, LNTC, and the Regional Roads Committee to expedite road projects slated for region and identify alternative sources of TIP funding for existing unfunded projects.
• Assist other citizens groups including, but not limited to, I77 Business Plan and Widen I77 as it relates to transportation advocacy.
Chair: Tricia Sisson
The Member Services Division provides quality networking and promotional programs that meet the needs of the Membership and encourages engagement. The division creates and promotes a strong positive image of the Chamber to the public and supports the Chamber through recruitment, development and retention programs to foster and strengthen business vitality in the Lake Norman Region. The Chamber Ambassador program is the foundation upon which the Division is built upon.
• Maintain a broad membership base through recruitment, retention and providing value at all levels to our Chamber Members.
• Provide exceptional networking and promotional programming throughout the year that encourages members to get engaged.
• Maintain consistent and exceptional delivery of programming throughout the year by working closely with Chamber staff and Ambassadors.
• Increase public awareness of Chamber programming and policy.
• Conduct Annual Awards Gala.
• Conduct Annual Business Expo.
• Conduct Annual Golf Tournament.
• Conduct Leadership Lake Norman.
• Explore new Affinity programs and additional programming options.
• Establish strong activity/ partnership opportunities with other chambers
• Engage Board and Chamber President in direct calls with chamber membership
• Establish leadership roles for Ambassadors to oversee scheduling Ambassador participation in events.
• Continue Ambassador Mentoring program which maintain Ambassador criteria, qualification and incentive programs to train current and new ambassadors
• Conduct new Member “Launch” (orientation) programs
Business Growth & Economic Development
Business Growth & Economic Development
Chair: Jim Vogel
The Business Growth and Economic Development Division supports successful business by advocating for an improved commercial infrastructure and by helping locate new business to the lake region. This division works closely with economic and legislative officials to strategically develop a friendly and supportive business environment.
• Focus on entrepreneurship exploring an incubator for entrepreneurs and potential recognition of regional entrepreneurship in partnership with the Project for Innovation Energy Sustainability (PIES), Central Piedmont Community College and UNC Charlotte.
• Continue to collaborate with the Lake Norman Economic Development Corporation specifically in business expansion and economic development efforts
• Host quarterly corporate roundtables with the Lake Norman Regional EDC
• Small business recruit/retain - Enhance awareness of events and coordinate small business roundtables
• Conduct the annual Small Business Week of activities, programs, and seminars in conjunction with the Small Business Administration
• Continue partnership with Lake Norman Currents Magazine - Relocation magazine for the region
• Collaborate and partner with local groups and agencies like HOHT and LKNjobs in employee bulletin board for job postings and local job fairs.
• Host a monthly training series of BusinessWorks! With SCORE on topics which improve employer/employee efficiency and productivity.
• Develop and nurture Lake Norman e-Commerce group to assist online businesses as they grow and collaborate.
Community Affairs Division
Chair: Sam James
The Community Affairs Division focuses on quality of life factors that enrich our region and provide civic leadership in the areas of health care, education, arts and culture, diversity and the environment.
• Host Focus Friday spotlighting nonprofits in the region
• Identify community service and support opportunities for the Chamber and its members
• Coordinate a program for The North Mecklenburg Crime Stoppers which incorporates the annual Public Safety recognition
• Participate in Big Day at the Lake
• Collaborate with the Arts and Science Council and other agencies to promote and encourage art and cultural resources in the lake region
• Provide support and visibility to existing art and cultural festivals
• Promote the relationship with Visit Lake Norman for regional events.
• Assist local health care agencies with regional community issues seeking opportunities to partner with other likeminded organizations and identify new ways to add value to our membership
Vice Chair: Christpher Hailey
• Aid small, minority and women business-owners and address any unique needs or
• Diversity Council presence at local events
• Promote community involvement in the Diversity Council
• Host the LKN Region Women’s Conference
• Host forum(s) for Chamber non-profits to help promote, educate and potentially identify Nonprofit Board Members and promote ongoing activities.
Lake Norman Education Collaborative
Vice Chair: Steve Gilbert / Melinda Bales
Purpose: To serve all public and charter schools in Cornelius, Davidson, Huntersville
• Collect needs from the schools and focus on resources to help provide for both broad initiatives as well as specific needs.
• Monitor the planning and events of the public and private school system that directly and indirectly affect area schools
• Host a Focus Friday with Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools outlining district goals and progress and provide a forum for Chamber members to ask questions and advise of any concerns
• Assist with Career Days coordinated by area schools
• Encourage opportunities for the Chamber to partner with our local schools (such as Junior Leadership) and encourage member participation with school programs and mentoring.
• Include our regional colleges and higher education partners with Internship opportunities at the chamber, providing workshops on training available to small business owners.
• Develop "Partners in Education" with both large and small businesses in the Lake Norman area.
Technology and Communication
Technology and Communication
Chair: Mike Murphy
The Technology and Communications Division will focus on IT, Social Media, Chamber website, and printed / electronic communication both external and internal to the chamber.
• Continue technology upgrades on the Chamber’s website to increase member value
• Create a social media strategy and review online platforms
• Enhance SEO for chamber website
• Review all external communication, electronic and print, to effectively communicate, promote, and serve the members
• Create new member tutorial and on-boarding videos
• Establish and help foster relationships with the entrepreneurial community of LKN and Charlotte.
• Provide more clear links or landing page resources for the local community on issues of importance such as town plans for transportation projects as it relates to businesses and traffic flow.